Monday, September 28, 2009

Bucked off, lessons learned.

Well, I ate some dirt last week. I was cantering Licorice around a field, and she was going nicely in the direction toward home... and balked at going away from home. So I simply insisted, yes, you will go away from home... not meanly or anything, just was firm with her. She complied, and cantered the way I wanted, for about 3 stride... and erupted into a bucking fit. Usually she bucks once or twice, not a huge broncy fit like this. So I had that "oh, I'm losing it moment;" the moment when riding it out is no longer an option and you start planning for the fall. Anyway, I was essentially unhurt, although I did get faceplanted into some tumbleweed... for those of you who've never been in the desert, let me assure you- not fun.

So, I brushed myself off, got my bearings, and caught my horse, who was purposely meandering away from me just barely faster than I was walking... LOL. She, of course, is calm as can be now, munching on some weeds. So, I hop back on and continue down the street. She was fussy about exactly where she wanted to go, but I worked her through it until she was listening. Something still felt off though, so I hopped back off. Lo and behold, I found a small cut on one of her heel bulbs. I'm not sure if it was an overreach or if she just stepped on some trash in the field, but suddenly, I wasn't crabby with her anymore. Once again, Licorice proves that she is not a pain in the ass (admittedly, this was my thought as I was pulling tumbleweed thorns from my face) but actually, a very good girl for doing as I asked even with a sore foot.

Moral of the story- check your horse from head to toe if you get bucked off. The cut is tiny, no lameness or even any obvious bleeding, and it's healing well. It was very hard to spot- because of the sand that covered it, it honestly just looked like a dirty horse booger got on her foot until I looked closer.

So, after this incident, I finally broke down and bought some easyboots- so far, so good. She has no problems at all with them and no more ouchies over rocks. I had been hoping to find used ones, but simply got sick of waiting and ponied up the cash. For anyone who is thinking about them, the Easyboot Epics are working really well for us.

First day with the new trainer was today, she is training at my place and a super nice lady. She is firm but very kind to Lic, constantly encouraging her and fixing any problem or misbehavior with no fuss, and then praising as soon as she is being good again. She worked her in long lines today and said that although Lic seemed unfamiliar with long lines, she picked it up quickly.

I will update with pics again soon, both horses are looking shiny and healthy. I rode Dutch the other day as well... riding the old guy was great! I love his push button gaits and rocking chair canter, and he is very forward as well... as opposed to Lic's slow, plodding walk and resistant upward transitions at times. I'm hoping with persistence and training, Lic will eventually get to the point where she is as easy and fun as Dutch to ride.

1 comment:

  1. How smart of you to pick up the small problem she was having - good noticing! Your new trainer sounds sensible and sound - that's good too. My old Noble was like your Dutch to ride - absolutely right on it with everything and a pleasure to ride.

    ReplyDelete