Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hmmm...

Had our lunge-line lesson yesterday, and everything was great until we asked for a canter. Lic fell into the strung-out death trot, pinned ears, tail swishing, some minimal bucking... She really hates cantering in a circle, and I don't get it. My trainer said sometimes it can be a balance thing, but I didn't look unbalanced to her... and then we switched places and got the same thing... attitude. Both times we eventually got a canter, but it was an on-the-forehand, really unwilling type of canter.

She canters just fine on a lunge-line if there's no person on her back, although she will sometimes throw some attitude about it, it's not nearly as bad.

Out on the trail, it kind of depends on the day, and on her mood. Sometimes she'll canter amazingly, right out of a walk, calm and collected. Other days, I get attitude, bucking, balking, anything to avoid it. I don't understand how it could be pain if literally she's good one day, bad the next, good again the next. I'm baffled, and so is my trainer. She has suggested getting some Easyboots, as there is some possibility of her being tenderfooted on the rocks... but still, some days we'll get a nice canter, and the next day, an attitude, on the exact same stretch of ground.

*Sigh* I guess I'm continuing on my search for cheap, used boots.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like something physical may be going on - bit issue (dental) or perhaps chiropractic, saddle fit or even ulcers. You might want to systematically check these things out - at least then you'll know what it isn't. Some younger or less fit horses also have trouble at the beginning cantering under saddle - it's partly a muscular development and fitness issue, or it could even be something the rider is doing. Good luck with all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - thanks for your comment on my blog - I left you another thought there.

    ReplyDelete