Thursday, January 29, 2009

An Introduction


This is my 6 year old paint mare Licorice. On the ground, she is the absolute sweetest thing. She follows me around, leads well, lunges *okay* (could be better) and has endearing habits like carrying her food bucket around. She is healthy, if a bit chubby, and happy. She has bouts of attitude that I consider normal- sometimes turning away when she sees me coming with a halter, a little tail swishing or ear pinning if her gelding friend comes to close while she’s eating or tied, nothing too terrible.

It’s when I get her out to work with her that I have problems. She will lunge, but it somewhat balky at times, and she has reared and charged. (This is not acceptable or accepted- she is corrected and made to work hard afterward.) She’ll also aim a little side-kick or buck in my direction if she knows she is out of reach of the lunge whip. These are things I need to work on, I know this.

Riding is where we have our big issue. It started small, but has escalated, which I consider to be my fault due to my inexperience. Refusing to ride out, turning to bite my leg when bumped/cued, bucking, tail swishing, you name it, she does it. The only problem I don’t seem to consistently have is rearing- thank god because that scares the shit out of me. Bucking is not something I like, but *on the plus side* I have gotten very good at riding bucks out, first of all, and I have even progressed to halting her with a one-rein stop and turning in a circle. It’s not much but it’s progress.

This blog is simply me chronicling our *fun* adventures. I would love suggestions, as the crop of trainers in this area are either too expensive, too unavailable, or too “good ole boy” for my liking.

1 comment:

  1. great blog... your mare looks like my luna (i think i posted that on conformation clinic)... especially the ears back and leg cocked. luna is lazy, smart and stubborn, wonder if your mare has skipper W in her too! luna does the swishing tail, stopping and refusing to move act too... "get tough with her", they tell me... is that the same as getting mad???
    i won luna for $25, had just about given up my lifetime dream of owning a horse. i am training her myself too, for the same reasons as you are. i board her nearby, the plus to that is that i have lots of people telling me what to do! i pay a really good rider to ride luna once a week, seeing what she can get luna to do vs. me just makes me feel more inadequate! but i am still trying. my new tactic is to announce to her "i'm the boss!!" when i get on her, at the very least maybe i will believe it someday.
    good luck...

    ReplyDelete